What we do
Thanks to a unique process, an exceptional deposit and our skilled, efficient teams, we produce high quality copper, and cobalt as a by-product, from our two open pit mines (KOV and Mashamba East) and from our KTO underground mine. We have implemented targeted strategies to achieve safe, consistent, cost-effective production now and throughout the life of the mines.
Mining and processing
Our refinery produces copper cathodes with 99.99% purity and cobalt hydroxide.
Copper and cobalt
As the world shifts away from fossil-based fuels to other sources of energy, the demand for refined metals such as copper and cobalt – which are used in energy storage, electric vehicles and other decarbonisation technologies – is expected to multiply.
Copper is a major industrial metal due to its high ductility, malleability, thermal and electrical conductivity and resistance to corrosion. It is used in:
- renewable energy technologies (including solar cells and electric vehicles)
- construction (including buildings and bridges)
- telecommunications equipment
- electrical and electronic products (including TVs, computers and games consoles)
- transportation (including cars and airplanes)
- general everyday products (including cookware and coins)
KCC is the world's single largest cobalt mine – a metal that is in rising demand due to its use in batteries for electric vehicles and portable electronics.
The DRC has more than 60% of the world’s reserves of cobalt which is used in:
- most rechargeable batteries
- many alloys and super alloys used in aircraft engines, gas turbines, high-speed steels, corrosion resistant alloys, and cemented carbides
- magnets and magnetic recording media
- petroleum and chemical industries.